The news release is issued towards the media and after this they are calling requesting an interview. Do you acquire the phone and begin talking? No. Take a little bit to read this informative article and learn some methods to make sure your media interview is impactful.
Preparation is paramount to a successful media interview. Think about it using this method – might you step on the stage and provides a presentation to countless people without preparing your thinking and fine tuning your message? Hopefully not. You would invest some time reviewing everything, looking over your appearance and being confident that you remember your outline. Think about your media interview to be a presentation to some large group. Even if you can’t obtain them, tons (possibly millions) of men and women will browse the article, listen on the interview or watch the clip.
Okay why don’t we get started by incorporating basic strategies to prepare.
1. Write down your three key messages. When you happen to be done your interview, what are three outline you want the reporter, and audience, to recollect?
2. Formulate your interview around these tips. When asked questions which can be “off message” resume these points. Use them to transition outside of sticky questions. Example – while which is a good question, I want to stress what’s important to consider is… insert key message.
3. Determine what media outlet you happen to be talking to and also the average duration of audio or videos or story length for print. If it’s radio and the job interview’s for just a short news story, maintain interview short when they will likely use a 10-30 second clip. If it’s television or video, you obtain 60 seconds individuals speaking within the story.
4. Tailor your message to fulfill the needs of the crowd of the media outlet. Is this the local news outlet? National? Is the crowd your peers or even the general public? Each media interview really should be unique, tailored in order to meet the needs from the specific audience, versus repeating exactly the same information exactly the same way in 10 different media interviews.
5. Take stock of your appearance. Solid kit is best for video interviews. No crazy patterns or logos (unless it’s own company’s logo). For women – no clunky jewellery or exposed cleavage. And for men – button increase your shirt and empty your pockets which means you aren’t inclined to jingle your keys.
6. Don’t ramble. Stick to your three blueprint. This way whenever your comments are edited, what appears from the story will probably be on topic.
7. Thank the reporter. Too few people spend some time to say thank you.